Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I tell ya we're rollin'

A headline I read on the internet today (from a 2007 blog post) said,
-------------------------
"The Biggest Problem The World is Facing in the 21st Century

It's not terrorism. It's not environmental disaster.

It's Greed. Everything else is symptoms."
---------------------------

Sometimes I think something's up with the weather. It's different.
Monday night I left work at 10pm: ongoing pouring hammering rain, backgrounded with several kinds of lightning (the broad, light-up-the-night-sky kind, and the jagged streaking bolt kind, aiming toward planet earth as though looking to strike perpetrators of evil, or at least jolt 'em awake, and some other variations...)

The parking lot I had to cross to get to my car was a-slosh in water. Wonderful, now I'm a magnet for the lightning -- ran / slogged to car: usually I open either door to back seat or trunk, and carefully place lunch-box and paper-case inside, before opening front door and sliding into driver's seat with my purse in hand -- Monday night, instead of that, I CLICKED the door unlocked from key-ring, pulled driver's door open, and THREW my stuff -- and myself -- into front seat, BAM! - closed the door.

Drive home.

It was extra-dark because of cloudiness and thick sheets of pounding rain, reducing visibility. Every little bit -- minute -- seconds -- the entire sky would light up, as if the impostor Wizard of Oz were frantically pulling strings and pressing buttons to impress his public. I'm driving along, thinking,
"Too dark." Then
"TOO LIGHT!"
Then
too dark
TOO LIGHT!
too dark
TOO LIGHT!

Told self, "I am not afraid of a thunderstorm." Thought of Tina Turner, because she is a figure of exquisite courage, to me.

Once I got home, I put on gym clothes and exercised for a little while, in my living room, in the interest of being as slim as possible, and strong / healthy / alive-not-dead-whatever.
Played songs from Tina Turner's "What's Love Got To Do With It" CD (the soundtrack to the film-biography of her life) --
"I Don't Wanna Fight"
(There's a pale moon in the sky, the kind you make your wishes on,
Like the light in your eyes, the one I built my dreams upon
...);
"Disco Inferno"
(...Folks screaming, out of control,
It was so entertaining when the boogie started to explode
I heard somebody say -- Burn baby burn Disco Inferno.
..);
"Nutbush City Limits"
(...little old town in Tennessee
Quiet, little old community --
A one-horse town --
Gotta watch what you're puttin' down
...);
"A Fool In Love"
(...You know you love him, you can't understand
Why he treats you like he do when he's such a good man...)

and "Proud Mary"
(Cleaned a lot of plates in Memphis, pumped a lot of tane down in New Orleans.
But I never saw the good side of the city
Until I hitched a ride on the riverboat queen ...)


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment