Wednesday, April 25, 2012

very truly yours

I think, along with LOL there should also be
 GAL, for Giggling A Little, and
SSWRE, for "surprised smile with raised eyebrows"...
-------------------------------- {Information from excellent site, pinkpillbox.com}:
After graduating from George Washington University in 1951, Jacqueline Bouvier got a job at the Washington Times Herald, where she was the "Inquiring Photographer." The position required her to pose witty questions to individuals chosen at random on the street and take their pictures.
The paper would publish Q and A, plus photo.
November 11, 1952 John H. Davis (Jackie's cousin)
Q: Are men as inclined to fall for a "line" as girls are?
A: "More so, because they don't get them as often. When our ship was in the Mediterranean, we wanted to appear continental and not like American tourists. If any girl said "Oh, you look so Turkish." or "I'd have taken you for a Neapolitan." Why I fell for it like a ton of bricks."

Date: Fall 1952 (Mrs. Cafritz)

Q: With which presidential candidate would you rather be marooned (Republican Dwight Eisenhower or Democrat Adlai Stevenson)?

A: I think being stranded with either one would get a bit tiresome. What I'd really love is to be marooned with both of them. They mightn't like it so much, but I think it would be divine. ---------------
SSWRE ---------------

Date Early 1953: (Senators Richard Nixon and John Kennedy and two Senate pages)

Q: What's it like observing senators at close range?
(Pages' responses)

A: Gary Hegelson of Wisconsin: "We've got this book with pictures of Senators in it and I'm trying to get their autographs. I didn't know when I could get Nixon. he's so busy. One day while he was presiding over the Senate and I was seated on the rostrum I decided that was my chance. He signed it right away."

Q: What's it like observing the pages at close range?

Vice-President Richard M. Nixon: "I would predict that some future statesman will come from the ranks of the page corps. During my time as a Senator, I have noticed that they are very quick boys, most of whom have a definite interest in politics. I feel they could not get a better political grounding than by witnessing the Senate in session day after day as they do."

(Page) Jerry Hoobler of Ohio:
Senator Kennedy always brings his lunch in a brown paper bag. I guess he eats it in his office. I see him with it every morning when I'm on the elevator, he's always being mistaken for a tourist by the cops because he looks so young.

The other day he wanted to use the special phones, and they told him, "Sorry mister those are reserved for senators."

Sen. John F. Kennedy (D-Mass.) I've often thought that the country might be better off if we Senators and the pages traded jobs. If such legislation is ever enacted I'll be glad to hand over the reins to Jerry Hoobler.

In the meantime, I think he might be just the fellow to help me straighten out my relationship with the cops. I've often mistaken Jerry for a Senator because he looks so old."

Jackie used to flirt with Jack and he burst out laughing when he read the Inquiring Camera Girl Question - Can you give me any reason why a contented bachelor should ever get married?
----------------------{end pinkpillbox.com quotes}

I had read parts and pieces of this information in the form of anecdotes in various Jackie Kennedy biographies and articles: however, on the website pinkpillbox.com the details and more complete and chronological arrangement of the information is a pleasure to read. The page even includes a picture of a note, handwritten on dusky pink Times Herald stationery, which reads...

 Dear Mrs. MacRae --

Here is the column -- I hope you think it's all right -- I will call you Monday morning to see if you would like to change anything.

The editor liked the column so much that now we are going to run it as a Sunday feature -- probably in two weeks. We are getting the Senators mentioned to answer "What's it like observing the pages at close range".

So far I have gotten answers from Nixon and Kennedy. As soon as the others come in I will let you know when the feature will run.

Thank you so much for being so kind -- and please excuse the pencil. I'm rather slow on the typewriter -- and there seems to be no such thing as a pen in a newspaper office.

Very Truly Yours --

Jacqueline Bouvier

 -----------------

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment