Thursday, July 26, 2012

ok, three guys go into a bar...

Some of the people I work with disbelieve me when I tell them that laughter helps people stay healthy, or recover from illness.

Maybe they'll believe the internet.

On the internet it says,

"While it is common knowledge that laughter can serve to raise spirits and relieve stress, there is scientific evidence that laughter may also be able to aid in the curing of diseases. The notion that laughing has healing powers is not a new concept. Dating to at least ancient Greece, hospitals were built next to amphitheatres to help "cure" the patients.  Do we laugh because we're happy and healthy, or are we happy and healthy because we laugh?"


And in the online "encyclopedia" if you look up Norman Cousins, someone my dad used to quote a lot, you can read:
Told that he had little chance of surviving [a diagnosed illness], Cousins developed a recovery program incorporating megadoses of Vitamin C, along with a positive attitude, love, faith, hope, and laughter induced by Marx Brothers films.

(Ahh -- this safari is quite an adventure!  Yesterday I shot an elephant in my pajamas.  How he got into my pajamas is hard to say....)

"I made the joyous discovery that ten minutes of genuine laughter had an anesthetic effect and would give me at least two hours of pain-free sleep," he reported. "When the pain-killing effect of the laughter wore off, we would switch on the motion picture projector again and not infrequently, it would lead to another pain-free interval."

-------------------------------
Someone wrote in The New Yorker in recent years that part of the problem in the U.S. Senate is that they've lost any sense of humor (even with Al Franken in there!)...

-30-


No comments:

Post a Comment