Monday, September 2, 2013

been so long since I've felt fine


Well things were spinnin' round me
And all my thoughts were cloudy
And I had begun to doubt
all the things that were me.
Been in so many places --

Around this time, Woodward went to visit a well-placed CRP official.   ------------------ [book excerpt]------------ The man seemed disaffected, disgusted with the White House and the tactics that had been used to re-elect the President.  "If there was an honest and a dishonest way to do something," he said, "and if both ways would get the same results, we picked the dishonest way. . . . Now, tell me why anyone would do that."

For instance?

"It's hard to think of specifics," the CRP man said.  He thought for another moment.  "Remember the decision to mine Haiphong about five months before the election?  Some of us felt that that decision could make or break the President.  We spent $8400 on false telegrams and ads to stir up phony support for the President's decision.  Money was used to pay for telegrams to the White House, to tell the President what a great move it was, so that Ziegler could announce that the telegram support was running some large percentage in support of the President. 

Money also went to pay for a phony ad in the New York Times."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-- You know I've run so many races
And looked into the empty faces
of the people of the night
And something is just
not right, 'cause I know

That I gotta get out of here
I'm so alone
Don't you know that I gotta
get out of here
'Cause New York's not my home.

Though all the streets are crowded
There's somethin' strange about it
I lived there 'bout a year and
I never once felt at home

I thought I'd make the big time
I learned a lot of lessons awful quick
and now I'm -- tellin' you
That they were not the nice kind
And it's been so long
since I have felt fine,
that's the reason

That I gotta get out of here
I'm so alone
Don't you know that I gotta
get out of here
'Cause New York's not my home

========================
{book excerpt:  All The President's Men, by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward; Copyright 1974; Simon & Schuster; New York}
{song:  "New York's Not My Home" from 1972's You Don't Mess Around With Jim, by Jim Croce.  Also included on Photographs and Memories - His Greatest Hits.}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment