Thursday, March 20, 2014

the enthusiasm, the spirit, the soul


Just as I was having fun, going along writing about what Keith Richards had to say in his autobiography, titled Life, Mick Jagger's girlfriend of 11 years or so apparently commits suicide in New York City, and then I feel like -- I can't write about the Rolling Stones, now, because of people's personal grief in the news. ...

Am I obligated to grieve?  No, I don't think so -- I did not know Mr. Jagger's girlfriend, L'Wren Scott.  But -- I feel like I cannot "celebrate" the Rolling Stones' work just now, because -- the act of one person affected the Stones' lead singer, which affects the band, who were on tour -- (now postponed -- all those Australians with tickets, and no concert...!) -- which affects other people in the world who read about the unexpected death, including me -- just one everyday person who only wanted to write about the Stones' music, or rather, read what Keith Richards wrote about it, & showcase that, here in this humble blog.

See, what one person chooses to do affects a lot of other people. ... We don't always realize that. 

So, out of respect, I'm going to set aside writing about Rolling Stones music, songwriting, life experiences, musical influences, on-tour adventures, and any other Stones-related items, throughout next week, and then I think that's sufficient.  Beginning Monday, March 31st, I am again free to cconsider and discuss Keith Richards' autobiography and related subject areas.  I think that's fair.

---------------------
Honestly!  I was so inspired -- dancing happily along, with Keith's theory of the "emancipation" of music through the invention of recording, Malagueña, got the mojo working, Keiths' treatise on technologoy -- Recording The Room -- "The enthusiasm, the spirit, the soul...where's the microphone for that??"  And then I get interrupted.

That's what war and tragedy do -- they interrupt our Life.  Art enhances our Life, and supports us.  Death and sadness and strife do the opposite.

On a TV-show episode, there was a funeral, and the minister says, "Death -- is the eternal mystery" ... I don't know that death is all that mysterious.  But a person's suicide usually does seem to be a "mystery."  People cannot understand it.

Got to go down, got to go down
Leave here today on my way so long, so long

Going back home, going back home
Got to go home, got to go home
Got to go home, got to go home...

First I planned to stay but I can't live this way
I'm goin' back home...

--------------------------
{"Going Back Home" -- song, and album title -- 1971, Syndicate Chapter label.  Howlin' Wolf (Chester Burnett)}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment