Thursday, November 30, 2017

so don't misunderstand me


In Jane Austen's 1815 novel Emma, the movement of individuals in and through society is described as their "rising" and their "sinking"; raising, and lowering.  Up - or down.  Above - below.

[excerpts]

---------------- Highbury, the large and populous village, almost amounting to a town, to which Hartfield...did really belong, afforded [Emma] no equals.  The Woodhouses were first in consequence there.  All looked up to them.




------------ "...A young farmer, whether on horseback or on foot, is the very last sort of person to raise my curiosity.  

The yeomanry are precisely the order of people with whom I feel I can have nothing to do.

A degree or two lower, and a creditable appearance might interest me; I might hope to be useful to their families in some way or other.

But a farmer can need none of my help, and is, therefore, in one sense, as much above my notice as in every other he is below it...."


----------- Contrary to the usual course of things, Mr. Elton's wanting to pay his addresses to her had sunk him in her opinion.


---------- He wanted to marry well, and having the arrogance to raise his eyes to her, pretended to be in love.


------------------ ...He would soon try for Miss Somebody else with twenty, or with ten.  [Going down from Miss Woodhouse's "30 thousand pounds a year" to 20.  And then maybe 10....]


------------- ...should suppose himself her equal in connexion or mind! -- look down upon her friend, so well understanding the gradations of rank below him, and be so blind to what rose above....

_____________________
_____________________

We also observe this "Crazy-Elevator" raising and lowering in the heated conversational exchange had by Mr. Knightley and Emma over Harriet's refusal of Robert Martin's marriage proposal:

--------------- "Mr. Martin is a very respectable young man, but I cannot admit him to be Harriet's equal; and am rather surprized indeed that he should have ventured to address her...."

     "Not Harriet's equal!" exclaimed Mr. Knightley loudly and warmly; and with calmer asperity, added, a few moments afterwards, "No, he is not her equal indeed, for he is as much her superior in sense as in situation.

---------------------
________________




     We also note that people in relationships are observed and described by the measure of how much good they will do one another:

---------------- "I do not know what your opinion may be, Mrs. Weston," said Mr. Knightley, "of this great intimacy between Emma and Harriet Smith, but I think it a bad thing."
     "A bad thing!  Do you really think it a bad thing? -- why so?"
     "I think they will neither of them do the other any good."...


-------------- "You surprize me!  Emma must do Harriet good:  and by supplying her with a new object of interest, Harriet may be said to do Emma good.  I have been seeing their intimacy with the greatest pleasure.  How very differently we feel!...


     Later in the book when Mr. Elton marries a Miss Hawkins from Bath (with 20 thousand pounds, I think it is...) Emma's opinion of the bride:

-------------- ...if not foolish she was ignorant, and that her society would certainly do Mr. Elton no good.


*       *       *       *

Both Emma Woodhouse and Mr. Knightley kind of think they know what's best for other people.


Emma had been sort of moving -- 
shepherding -- 
Harriet Smith and Mr. Elton forward and across a shiny, high-quality Chess Board 



Of Love And Highbury Society, and then it just sort of explodes.  Or implodes.

     ("No!  You've got the wrong girl!  Rewind!"

     The Eltons.  Were nobody.)

___________________________

Just when I was thinking "Mr. Elton" is such an old-fashioned name, no one is named that anymore, I remembered, "Wait!  
Mr. --
Elton --
John!! 
And one of the all-time favorite songs --

Type in

"Don't Go Breaking My Heart"

and listen to Elton John and Kiki Dee sing that on You Tube.

     The song's arrangement is fresh and unique, with lush orchestral strings like swooping ocean waves backing a skittish melody that is shy and happy at the same time....

Nobody knows it

(nobody knows -- it)


Right from the start
I give you my heart
Oh... oh, I give you my heart

So don't go breaking my heart --

I won't go breaking your heart

Don't go breaking my heart

Nobody told us
'Cause nobody showed us
Now it's up to us babe
Whoa I think we can make it

So don't misunderstand me
You put the light in my life
Oh you put the sparks to the flame
I got your heart in my sights

woo hoo

Nobody knows it...



_______________________

{"Don't Go Breaking My Heart" - written by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.  Label:  Rocket (UK); MCA (US).  Released June 21, 1976}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment