Monday, November 19, 2018

mystery train


I read my serious news story for today:

Trying to get a handle on California's deadly wildfires has lawmakers flummoxed
        by George Skelton
        in the Los Angeles Times

It was very well written:  clear, and easy to mentally "digest."

------------------------------------

     On You Tube, there's another video with the same title as the one discussed here on Friday:

Remembering Robert F. Kennedy, 50 years after his assassination
(CBS)

Friday's video was CNN -- the other one up there is from CBS.  It's five and a half minutes long.

At first I was going to only recommend the CNN one, but then I thought, You know, people who aren't me might enjoy the CBS one better, so I wanted to be sure and recommend that one, too.

While the CNN video focuses on political structures and how to work with / on them, the CBS clip shows more people's views who remember it.  (Not that politicians aren't people, but -- you know what I mean.)

Before you watch the CBS one, I have to warn you there's a really "awkward" edit in there -- you hear an announcer's voice say, "Police occasionally threw tear gas into the crowds..." 
     I had listened to it several times, while doing something else, and I thought, "For God's sake, police did not throw tear gas at people waiting on Bobby Kennedy's funeral train! -- that's gotta be wrong!"

     Then when I watched and listened at the same time, I could see and pick up that they were putting in a news report from another occasion -- probably Martin Luther King's assassination a month before Kennedy's death-- when there was rioting in some cities.  At a riot, yes, there would be some tear gas.

     But I could only interpret it correctly when I viewed as well as listened -- not sure why...It is still a very awkward edit.  
     Anyway, yeah, police did not attack citizens waiting for a funeral train.  It's like they were making the Sixties worse than they were.

(Hey, CBS:  Don't make me come in there!)








-30- 

No comments:

Post a Comment