Wednesday, April 17, 2019

we are peaceful, what about you?


Image result for paintings of pelicans

headline

Extinction Rebellion  set to disrupt London rail and tube lines


sub-head

Climate protesters warn they will escalate action after blockading capital's landmarks

______________________

Climate change protesters, who police say have caused "serious disruption" affecting half a million people in London over the past two days, have said they are planning to escalate their protests to disrupt rail and tube lines.

Thousands of people have taken part in the civil disobedience protests, blockading four landmarks in the capital in an attempt to force the government to take action on the escalating climate crisis.

Now the activist group Extinction Rebellion says it is planning to step up its action to disrupt rail and tube lines in London.



A spokesman said: 

"People really don't want to do this but the inaction of the government in the face of this emergency leaves us little choice."

On Tuesday, four sites -- Marble Arch, Waterloo Bridge, Parliament Square and Oxford Circus -- remained under the control of protesters, causing delays and diversions in the surrounding areas....



...The events in London were part of an international "climate rebellion" organised by Extinction Rebellion.  Organisers said demonstrations had taken place or were planned in 

80 cities across 33 countries -- from India to Australia, and around Europe and the US....




...At about 5:30 p.m., protesters crossed Princes Street, the Scottish capital's busiest shopping thoroughfare, and unfurled banners.  Most were immediately carried off the road by police and six people were arrested.

Attending her first protest, Christine Patel, 69, said:  "Usually I sit at home thinking:  'What can one person do?'  But gathering together with other people changes that.  We have to start thinking that we are a family."

The biggest protests have been in London, with 

thousands of parents and their children joining scientists, teachers and environmentalists to demand urgent action

in the face of "possible human extinction"....

Image result for extinction rebellion in India

...One of those facing arrest was Angie Zealter, 67, from Knighton in Wales.  "It will take the police some time to clear all these people and more will come here to support us," she said.  "But this is a very important moment in history -- 

it should have happened 50 years ago."...



...Some of those on the bridge had been locked or glued to a lorry parked across the carriageway since Monday night.  One of those glued to the underside of the van, Ben Moss, 42, a company director from Bristol, said he had been there since midnight on Monday.

"It's drastic times and drastic times need drastic measures.  

I am taking personal action and personal responsibility for the ecological and climate crisis,"

he said.




By about 5 p.m., the atmosphere at Waterloo Bridge had calmed after police stopped arresting people.  A singer sang blues music from a stage.

On Tuesday evening police turned their attention away from Waterloo Bridge to Oxford Circus, where hundreds of people were dancing.

Officers circulated around the crowd in groups, informing people that if they stayed in that location they were at risk of arrest.  The Guardian witnessed at least one person being carried away, while others left the crowd themselves after speaking to police.

"We are peaceful, what about you?"

protesters chanted as police made an arrest.  

Related image





About two dozen people sat beside the stage, a pink boat, next to signs warning that they were glued on and could not be moved.
__________________________
Tue 16 Apr 2019
written by Matthew Taylor, Damien Gayle and Libby Brooks
The Guardian


Oh, I shall not, I shall not be moved
I shall not, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree, planted by the water
I shall not be moved


I'm on my way to Heaven, I shall not be moved
On my way to Heaven, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree, planted by the water
I shall not be moved


Oh, I shall not, I shall not be moved
I shall not, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree, planted by the water
I shall not be moved

Oh preacher, I shall not be moved
Oh preacher, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree, planted by the water
I shall not be moved


I'm sanctified and holy, I shall not be moved
Sanctified and holy, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree, planted by the water
I shall not be moved

Oh I -- I shall not be moved
I shall not, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree, planted by the water
I shall not be moved
___________________________

"I Shall Not Be Moved"

Mississippi John Hurt

Image result for mississippi john hurt



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment