Friday, June 12, 2020

rock and roll dreams


...Well the music there
Well it was hauntingly familiar
When I see you doin'
What I try to do for me
With their words of a poet
And a voice from a choir
And a melody
Nothin' else mattered

Just like the white winged dove
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singin'
Whoo, baby, whoo...

The Notable Maine Artists of 2019 - Maine Home + Design


     In the 1990s I used to like "Behind the Music" on VH-1.  I would have the channel on the TV while I was doing things at home, and I could hear songs, and Behind the Music if it was on, and I could keep doing things I was doing, or stop and watch with full attention, if it was interesting enough.


     One time they featured Stevie Nicks -- she was talking contemporaneously, like "right now" in the '90s -- and looking back with memories and history of how she got started in music.
     She and Lindsey Buckingham became members of a California band called Fritz.
Stevie Nicks, lead singer of the Fritz Rabyne Memorial Band ...

Pin on STEVIE NICKS
  
   Listening to her, it dawned on me that even setting aside music and songs, Stevie Nicks is fascinating as a talker.  I couldn't turn away:  everything she said just commanded your attention.  She was compelling.
     She said Fritz opened for some of the greatest rock acts of the Sixties, including Janis Joplin.

     I felt awestruck by that.  The idea of Janis Joplin following Stevie Nicks onstage.  In San Francisco.  During the 1960s.  It was the ultimate "Wow."


     She also said she has always been interested in "the mystical aspects of rock and roll."

     If someone else had said "mystical aspects of rock and roll," I might have kept on with my projects, while listening, and I might have thought, "Yeah -- mystical, whatever..."  But since it was Stevie Nicks with her intimate and intense speaking style, and her record catalog -- I thought, "OK.  Mystical aspects, right."

Janis Joplin Break Out Performance at Monterey Pop Festival Fine ...
Janis Joplin at Monterey Pop


--------------------- When you listen to "Edge of Seventeen" and there's that distinctive "nanananananana" riff that sounds like it was recorded in an empty room with a window open -- if that seems "hauntingly familiar" it might be because that riff was sampled at the beginning of "Bootylicious" by Destiny's Child, 2001.

Beat Of The Week: Destinys Child – Bootyilicious

     In the song's video, Stevie Nicks appears playing her bass in that beginning part.




-30-
The Shots Your Cat Needs

No comments:

Post a Comment