Tuesday, September 22, 2020

spoons are so brutal

 



Picks up 6 utensils.  "One of these will work" sticks 3 of them in the pan.  It's hilarious.

~ Reader Comment on Paris Hilton cooking review in Guardian


     There is such a thing as "British humor" but when I read UK Commenters on the Internet it's more just the style of expression that captures my attention and fascinates.  

     I haven't worked my way up to their style of humor ("humour") yet; I'm still on words and phrases and spellings that are different from how we do it here in the U.S.A.


Over there "across the pond" --


Humor is spelled humour

A rumor is a rumour (Like Fleetwood Mac's Rumours)

If we are honorable here, when we go to England we will be honourable.


Then there's the "s" vs. "z" policy difference:


If we realize truths about civilization in America, when we go to UK, we will realise truths about civilisation.


     They put Mr. and Mrs. and Dr. without the period:

Mr Bailey

Mrs Jagger

Dr Zhivago


     I enjoy their use of the word "then" at the end of a sentence when their meaning is lightly humorous -- when one reader commented desperately that silly reality shows indicate "the end of civilisation," another answered, "Perfect time for the Last Supper then."  You would say this with a cheerful, jaunty attitude.


     The commenter who wrote, "I give up...let's get rid of electricity and start again."

     I think in the U.S. we would say "start over" instead of "start again."


     Why do they spell "program" --

"programme"?


___________________________

Other Reader Comments:


-------- The sole purpose of this piece is that if anyone asks me whether I saw Paris Hilton lasagna video on YouTube, I can say "Of course not, but I read about it in The Guardian"...


------- But this is the most comical article and video I have seen since years!  Thanks so much Stuart for this amazing article! (did I say amazing?).  And being Italian and knowing well what lasagna should be (or even just look like...), believe me it is even more exhilarating.  A masterpiece.

P.S.  I would like to suggest her to prepare the Parmigiana next time, that would be another comic hit.


------- haha, brilliant!  Got to watch this now, if only to know what she does with the salt...


---------- I fear for humanity.


------------ Words are not enough.  Pure poetry.


------- Ricotta cheese in lasagna, fucking American's have lost the run of themselves.

And the way they say it too, 'ricoetoe'.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh


----------- As she drives off in her vee-hick-ull...


------------ And adds some urbs to the sauce, aregguno for example...


--------- Ahh, the old "making fun of the way people from different places say things" brand of 'humor.'  Real Adam Sandler laughs, straight from the UK.  If I only had a dollar for every time you people went on a rant about the word soccer...


--------------- Humor?


---------- Wow, making fun of foreigners and the way they speak.


-------- Watched about 3 minutes, felt like 15 - not the slightest bit amusing, let alone hilarious.  Why is the Guardian giving this waste of space publicity?


------- I was grateful to have it.  I am so depressed at the state of the environment and the world Paris cheered me up, that's how desperate I am!!


----------- Seeing her & Nicole Ritchie calling bizarre situations in the deep mid-West "hotttt" was equally as funny!


[end of Reader Comments]

______________________________

___________________________


     I never saw "The Simple Life" -- I didn't know they went around pronouncing things "hot."

     That does sound funny.


     Better yet, is this veddy-literate British reader calling the American Midwest -- "the deep mid-West" and no one saying anything!  Hahaha.  There is a "Deep South."  There is no

"deep mid-West."


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment