Friday, July 9, 2021

heart like a color wheel

 


(This was painted with crayons by Elizabeth Roskam.)


I was thinking about boxes of Crayola crayons we used to have in first and second grade.  There was a smaller box, with basic colors.  And when I was in second grade I had a larger box of Crayola crayons that had a couple of different levels to it, like seats at a concert, and with so many crayons in there, you found a larger variety of colors, and the color would be named on the paper wrapped around the crayon.


Burnt sienna.

Periwinkle.


When I Google it now, I see lists of color-names in this brand.  Many of the color-names now, I'm pretty sure they weren't in the crayon collection I had in second grade.  They don't seem familiar.  Two others that I do think I recognize from back then:  mahogany and cornflower.  

     I wouldn't have thought those two up from memory, but when I see them written on-screen, I seem to remember them.


Those are funny words, for a child who just learned to read the year before!

"Periwinkle."

"Burnt sienna."  It sounded vaguely exotic.  It was some kind of brown.


"Cornflower" was a good word.  I knew the word corn and the word flower, but I hadn't seen them pushed together like that....


Did it say "cornflower" or "cornflower blue"?

Is there a History Of Crayons somewhere?


Forrest Gump said life was like "a box of chocolates."

Maybe it's also like a box of crayons.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment