Tuesday, November 16, 2021

when we grow up

 


I was thinking about when we are little, little kids -- kindergarten or younger -- and a grown-up would ask us, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

When I was 5 or 6, someone asked me that and I answered, "A nurse."  I said nurse because the neighbor girl in Akron, Sherry Witherspoon, said nurse.  She was two or three years older than me, and I copied many things she did and said.  

I hardly knew what a nurse did - I had some idea, I guess.  But I do remember the feeling I had a little later, that I had been insincere, that I really didn't want to be a nurse, but I thought I was required to have some kind of an answer.

Later, I had my own ideas.


Today I read someone's Comment under an article -- she wrote that all little girls want to be princesses (to dress up as princesses, I think she meant) and marry a rich man.

        Reflecting on this, I realized that dressing up in a ballerina costume was the closest I came to wanting to be like a princess.  And that by third or fourth grade, I wanted to be a spy.  And an author.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment