Thursday, September 6, 2012

I play bass

24 hours ago, writing about political operatives put me in mind of this song, for unknown reasons -- "World Turning."
written by
Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie
recorded February 1975
for Fleetwood Mac album
released July 1975 on the
Reprise label.

-------------------
Everybody's trying to say I'm wrong

I just wanna be back where I belong

World turning
I gotta get my feet back on the ground
World turning
Everybody's got me down

Maybe I'm wrong but who's to say what's right?
I need somebody to help me through the night

World turning
I gotta get my feet back on the ground
World turning
Everybody's got me down...yeah

Maybe I'm wrong but who's to say what's right?
I need somebody to help me through the night

World turning
I've gotta get my feet back on the ground
World turning
Everybody's got me down

World turning
Everybody's got me down
World turning
Everybody's got me down

----------------------
and an interesting interview from Rolling Stone magazine, March 24, 1977
RS # 235: Fleetwood Mac -- the author of the piece interviewed each member of the Mac -- here he's visiting with John McVie


If “Fleetwood Mac” had been a mediocre-selling album for the band, there would have been no desperation or breakup. If Buckingham or Nicks hadn’t worked out, McVie would have dutifully helped find replacements. He’s a strange creature to rock and roll: a patient man.

“Fleetwood Mac was doing fine before that album,” he figures. “People are always asking me how does it feel to have made it. If that’s the case, what do I do now? Now that I’ve made it. I hate that phrase.” For once, his voice is audible above the din of the marina. “I didn’t anticipate all the commotion around the last album,” he says. “Not as much as 4 million sales. There’s a lot of good albums we’ve done. It’s just one of those things – the right album the right time. But that’s the criteria of making it in this business: a big album. Then you get your own TV show, you go make a movie. It’s not important. Being seen wearing a Gucci suit… that syndrome is so sad.”

So what’s the motivation to be around it for more than 14 years?

“Playing bass,” comes the ready reply. “I’m not a dedicated musician particularly, but it’s the one thing I enjoy doing.”

Would he soon consider retiring?

What would I do? Sit on the boat, but that would get as boring as sitting around the studio…”

… “If I had anything that I thought was world shaking or profound, I’d say something. I really can’t come up with anything on politics, state of society, the relation of music to society… it’s just horseshit. I play bass.”

{Site: The Uncool (the official website for everything Cameron Crowe)}

...world turning...

-30-



















No comments:

Post a Comment