Tuesday, February 13, 2024

the artist's job

------------ (excerpts from  Jason Solomons interview with Woody Allen, 2015) -------------

WA:  I've not succeeded in the job of the artist ... to show people that you can at least enjoy life, or why there's a positive side to it somewhere.  I find this very hard--in 45 movies I have failed to be able to do it, the most I could do is distract people.


So I've said, "Come to my movie, see Bananas or Annie Hall," and for two hours I forget my problems because there's other people up there, and music and maybe laughs, but then you come out of the theatre and you're faced with real life again and I don't like it.


___________________ And that's a great pleasure to me, the best part of making the movie, you know, putting on the music.  

When you finish a movie and there's no music in it, it's cold as ice, and then I go to the other room and pick out from the many records I keep in the room next to my cutting room, and we pick out Mozart, or Louis Armstrong and we bring 'em in and it can still look terrible, so we try another--quite randomly in some cases.  

        In the case of Irrational Man, we put on the Ramsey Lewis, and click, instantly, the whole thing came to life.

-----------------------------

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment