Thursday, July 30, 2026

2nd Man

 


That writer I met in the Black Hills is listed in the IMDb movie catalog as "2nd Man."  The guy standing next to him in front of the restaurant is "Man."  (I guess it goes left to right as we look at it - "Man" is the guy on the left who asks "Havin' some trouble, lady?")

My friend's line is spoken off-screen - the camera stays on Jessica Walter and Clint Eastwood - "Yeah, let's split.  Looks like he's got enough trouble already."

        I wonder if they had to get their SAG cards for such brief parts....

2nd Man's voice is still familiar to me - he had a way of speaking kind of matter-of-fact and yet intense, at the same time.

I received a note from him in Boston, in 1978 or '79 wherein he informed  me that he had finished writing and editing the novel; he said it took a lot of work and added, "I'll never smile again."
        I had the impression that "I'll never smile again" was maybe an expression common in his generation.

I learned later it was the name of a song by Tommy Dorsey.



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment