Friday, August 21, 2009

Notebook of books and movies

One of my favorite things is a small notebook I have. Found it at a bookstore. It's about 4 x 6, hard-cover, with solid metal double-rings down the left-hand side.

On the front: a picture of a book by Marcel Proust; on top of the book is a white cup & saucer, a spoon resting on the saucer, and a small amount of coffee still left in the cup.
On the back: on the left-hand portion of the back cover, someone's white bookcase with books; to the right, bare wall above, and at the lower-right corner, a shelf or mantlepiece corner, with an ornamental horse & jockey on top.

The pages are lined, and good quality. What I use the notebook for is to write in the title every time there's a book I want to read, or a movie I want to see. (I thought at first I would use up all the pages in the notebook fast, but I have had it for several years now & and it's not full. I have learned to be more discerning about what I want to read and watch. Life is short.)

Also, I don't write down every book and movie I'm going to experience -- some, I just go read it or see it -- but I note the ones I think I'd like to do sometime, and cannot now, and don't want to forget....

What's in my "Booknotes" notebook?

All The President's Men
(book by Woodward and Bernstein) + movie

The Beat Generation, by Jack Kerouac

The Voices Of Silence, by André Malraux

The Age Of Reason ((turns out there's one by Sartre and one by Thomas Paine -- I think I want the Paine one, but not sure)

Grace And Power, by Sally Bedell Smith

The Greek Way, by Edith Hamilton

Democracy, by Henry Adams

by Reinhold Niebuhr: Moral Man And Immoral Society; and Christianity and Power Politics

Remembrance Of Things Past, by Marcel Proust

Nixon And Kissinger, by Robert Dallek

The Reagan Diaries

by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.:
A Thousand Days
The Imperial Presidency
Journals: 1952 - 2000

CHILDREN'S BOOKS which I would like to review and have in my modest "library":
the "Madeleine" books
the Winnie-the-Pooh books (A.A. Milne)
the "Babaar" books
Adventure at Black Rock Cave (out of print, have to find)

The Power of Myth, by Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers, & Betty Sue Flowers

books by Samuel Johnson

The Duchess, by Amanda Foreman
+ the movie

[on democracy, recommended by Pres. Obama]
The Declaration Of Independence
The Federalist Papers
The Constitution

movies
The Sting
Casablanca
Duplicity
The Queen

books:
My Life So Far, by Jane Fonda

by Malcolm Gladwell:
Outliers: The Story Of Success
The Tipping Point
Blink

movies
I'm Not There
No Direction Home
Julie & Julia

essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson

Civil Disobedience, by Henry David Thoreau

The Decoration Of Houses, by Edith Wharton

The Decoration Of Houses, by Alexandra Stoddard

movie: "Milk"

books
The Life of Samuel Johnson, by James Boswell

Slaughterhouse-5, by Kurt Vonnegut

The Ugly American, by Eugene Burdick and William Lederer

Bob Dylan's autobiography

A Theft, by Saul Bellow

movies:
The Best Man (1964) -- Henry Fonda
the one about Woodstock (the original Woodstock movie + the new one)
Big Night (on the strength of Anthony Bourdain's recommendation)

have a great weekend; use your time well


No comments:

Post a Comment