Saturday, March 27, 2010

wait a minute

*** Sometimes I think something is one thing when it's actually not, it's something else. It's something else which is Good, also.

*** Sometimes something is so good, so admirable, that a person experiences an impulse to do something about it -- and some of those impulses can be correct, and some of them can be off. Off-base from what's needed, or real.

Like -- a sofa could be very lovely and comfortable in the furniture store, and you have an impulse to buy it, but it's too big for your living room.

Or -- a person can be so highly competent, helpful, positive, good, admirable, that you have an impulse to be in love with them. (For example, Bob Dylan is The rock-and-roll-poet-force-of-nature and that's great. That's enough -- that's plenty. He doesn't have to marry me. We're good.)

Or -- tennis seems like such a classy game, and good exercise, so you have a desire to play it. So you do. But you develop "tennis elbow" and you have to stop playing. It isn't your game. That's OK. Do something else.

------------------------------------------------------
3 quotes
~ ~
The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-- Allan K. Chalmers
~ ~
Three passions have governed my life:
The longings for love, the search for knowledge,
And unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.

Love brings ecstasy and relieves loneliness.
In the union of love I have seen
In a mystic miniature the prefiguring vision
Of the heavens that saints and poets have imagined.

With equal passion I have sought knowledge.
I have wished to understand the hearts of people.
I have wished to know why the stars shine.

Love and knowledge led upwards to the heavens,
But always pity brought me back to earth;
Cries of pain reverberated in my heart
Of children in famine, of victims tortured
And of old people left helpless.
I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot,
And I too suffer.

This has been my life; I found it worth living.
-- Bertrand Russell
~ ~
Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking.
It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
I Corinthians 13:4-8
-- The Bible


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment