Monday, July 19, 2010

met my own idea coming from the other way

This morning it occurred to me that one of the most powerful choices we can make is what we pay attention to.
There is so much information / entertainment / etc. coming at us -- I thought, if there's something negative -- hateful talk, lies, misinformation, whatever -- every individual has the power to Not Pay Attention To It. To "not give it any oxygen."

Instead, a person can stay busy with something positive -- there isn't enough time in life to achieve all the positive things we want to, why spend ANY of that positive-doing-time on anything that's negative?

You could call it Selective Focus.
People can Select what they are going to spend time and energy on, and make sure it's always something which adds value to their Life and the lives of others.
(Who am I today, Oprah?)

And in thinking about this, I realized that my buddies who do not vote are already applying the Selective Focus I'm talking about -- they're way ahead of me. They see politics and the negative ranting and misinformation which surrounds it as Negative and as Not Contributing to their Priorities / Things They Value, so they -- ignore it. They don't allow it to claim their attention. They don't spend any energy on it.

These people who don't vote are already applying the principle that I just thought of.

God.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment