Friday, July 30, 2010

a shoe-box full of songs

I know an actual hip-hop artist.
Haiti Boy White Boy
can be found on You Tube -- music videos.

I asked "Haiti Boy" today if he's making a music video this weekend;
he said, Taking a little break.

"To write songs?" I asked.

"Oh, I've got songs. Songs --" he looked off into the distance, like he was mentally inventorying all the songs he's written -- trying to remember them all, and how many...
Then he turned back to me:
"I've got a shoe-box full of songs."
Thinking of his abundance.

That's the thing about artists -- they create their own wealth.
I told him, "You're like Stevie Nicks -- she was a prolific songwriter -- she cut her own albums for a while, just because all of the songs she wrote wouldn't fit on the Fleetwood Mac albums, because they were all songwriters, in that band.

I don't think he was familiar with Stevie Nicks.
Not sure he had even heard of Fleetwood Mac.

Variety --
And availability
and decades --
makes cultural differences.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment