Wednesday, September 7, 2011

be for watching out

Reading some reader comments in the New York Times, I learn I am not the only person wondering / worrying about America's middle class.

One wrote:
I'll tell you what - when I get a job, I will not forget what corporate America and "our" government has done to the middle class. I will continue to keep my spending at the minimum levels I have learned to live at, because none of these blood suckers deserve to get one dime of my "disposable income" when they are already sitting on trillions of dollars of cash they won't let go of. That, and voting out the incumbents, [in Congress] is the only way to make them feel the pain they have inflicted on others.

Another one said:
You've made very good points...Unfortunately congress has been tuned to a different station for more than 25 years, locked-on by big pharma, too big to fail and Wall St. Follow the money....

Another:
Because most of the people in Congress are millionaires, they have no interest in restoring the middle class. They are super comfortable and live like celebrities. They are totally out of touch with the needs of real people. Big business owns them and government policy so it will NOT change. Time for the UPRISING by the people and for the people!
(??) yikes

Here's one:
This advice [in the article] runs counter to every policy initiative over the last ten years. Therefore it is most likely right.
Now, if only politicians will focus on the problem at hand and not on destroying each other. One can always dream.
------------------------
These comments (sentiments) from people in America make me think even more that having an "exchange" of congressmen, senators, and people in jobs that pay less than $40,000 per year, (for example), 2 months out of every year they're in Congress would be a good idea. If a senator or representative didn't want to do that, then he shouldn't run.

You know I stand here, and I'm shocked when someone doesn't vote and I try to talk 'em into it, and yet behavior of congresspeople in Washington sometimes feeds the arguments against me, rather than on my side. (It's like, "That's right, they DON'T need to vote because we DON'T care about 'em!!!") That's the vibe that people get.

There's a disconnect and a growing contempt, I perceive, & sometimes the contempt is hair-trigger, like a snap decision or a knee-jerk reaction.
Greed.
Fear.

The disconnect could be meaningfully addressed with "congressional exchange".

And it wouldn't be the same two months for everybody. It would be staggered, so that you'd always have, in Congress, some politicians and some real people.

I was thinking yesterday -- didn't want John Boehner cutting my hair, but -- he could help keep the books, and appointments, think up advertising ideas, help buy products, & sweep hair off the floor. There's always something people can do.

Someone -- I don't know who -- taught me, "There is dignity in all work." Our congresspeople should be for remembering that.
("be - for" -- I used to know somebody who was from a very small farming town, where people would say, "You had better be for washing that car!" or "You'd better be for doing your homework!"

I don't want America to become like a third world country.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment