Tuesday, December 6, 2011

facets of publicity

One evening a few weeks ago I discovered -- stumbled upon, completely by accident -- an article in a trade journal about the company where I work.

("This article stars us! Wow, Yay!")

Not like being in The New York Times or national magazine or something, but it's still -- An Article About Us!

So I was showing the article to people who work here -- one man sat down and read the entire article carefully. When he finished he said, with skeptical smile and some gentle doubt in his voice, "Well -- they make it all -- sound -- very -- Good..."

Another man, as I held out the magazine open to the article-about-us page, glanced at the full-page photo of a corporate executive & walked away: "rh-rh-rhrhrhnahru-read-about-him...he doesn't even know who-I-am...!"

A third worker responded to that, later, with a judiciously enunciated, thoughtfully spoken sentence: "I've always found, that if the -- top guy -- doesn't know you, ... that's a good thing."

Some of the people we work with speak only a small amount of English -- when I showed the magazine article to people, those who had the least understanding of what it was, seemed to be the most impressed ...

-------------------------
Standing in my office with my "find" -- the exciting, interesting, surprising magazine article, I had not predicted any of those reactions. ...

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment