Wednesday, May 9, 2012

the power and the glory

motivation
umm
what is motivation?
something that motivates; inducement; incentive

What does excellent motivation look like?
Or sound like?
Is motivation similar to rock & roll, as in --
the louder the better?

(Walk this way!
Old time rock and roll!
Good vibrations!
Hey Jude!
Chantilly Lace!...
? ! ? )

There's a school of thought that says you should never yell --
at people in the workplace, or
at children in school.
When I substituted in sixth grade, a girl in the class who was as tall as me came up and stood by me as the decibel level from the assembled students went higher and higher, and this tall 6th grader told me soberly, "You have to yell at us."
And then she added, "This happens every time we have a sub."

And then a teacher came in from the neighboring classroom and yelled
REALLY
LOUDLY
for  my class to quiet down.

(hiding under my bed rather than sub in jr. high ever again...yikes)

Now, the following quote is from a teacher in Australia:
-----------------quote
"Very early in my career when I was a casual teacher I can remember seeing two Year 4 primary school classes side by side. In one class the children sat quietly listening to their teacher while, in the other, the children were loud and unruly. My psychology training made me curious.


On delving into the background of the children I found they had been in Year 3 without any noticeable problems. At the end of Year 3, they had been reorganised into Year 4 classes. From a distance I observed the class interactions.

In the quiet class, the teacher spoke softly, never raising her voice. Children listened intently not wanting to miss what was being said. The dominant expression was the smile.

In the other class, the teacher rarely lowered her voice. Much of the time the children had learned to ignore their teacher. The only consequence was yelling and that they were use to hearing. The dominant expression was the frown.

Yelling at children is more an act of frustration than a decision to alter behaviour. Its very nature is counterproductive and can leave the teacher with little respect.

Ross Mannell (teacher)

Australia

P.S. My classes were full of smiles."
-------------------end quote

(Not sure what a "casual teacher" is -- must be one of those Australian sayings...like --
"I'm crook with a wog."
"Give him curry."
"Up a gumtree."
"Shrimp on the barbie."

-------------------
Is yelling itself good or bad?
On the one hand --
The sixth grade girl:  "You have to yell at us."
On the other hand --
"Yelling by its very nature is counterproductive."
-------------------------------------
We - eee - lll! --
You know you make me wanna (Shout!)


Kick my heels up and (Shout!)

Throw my hands up and (Shout!)

Throw my head back and (Shout!)

Come on now (Shout!)

Don't forget to say you will

Don't forget to say, yeah

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

(Say you will)

Say it right now bab-ay

(Say you will)

Come on, come on

(Say you will)

Say it, will-a you-ooooo!

(Say you will)

You got it, now!

(Say) say that you love me

(Say) say that you need me

(Say) say that you want me

(Say) you wanna please me

(Say) come on now


---------------------see now the Isley Brothers song makes "Shouting" sound like a good thing...

-------------------------
Positive leadership is the ticket; if people respect a person's skills and position, any word from that person resonates, & if that person yells, the yell-ee can get a feeling like they're being beaten up.

Personal power earned by skill & leadership is more powerful than a person sometimes realizes; possibility for overkill is a constant concern, but --
Positive Power To Accomplish Things And Improve Conditions
is a Gigantic Good Thing if the person who has it realizes it.

It's one of those things in Life that's actually, amazingly, easier than we think.

-30-


No comments:

Post a Comment