Thursday, March 14, 2013

the wealthy and the mystified


Yesterday, typing about Joseph P. Kennedy putting up $$ for Dick Van Dyke Show pilot episode, & reading the script to be sure he liked it -- I thought, and typed:  "People want to be in the movie business." 

And of course that was television, not "movie"...
guess what I meant was "Hollywood."
The whole thing.
Entertainment Business.

With that much money stacked up, a person could play a little bit -- and feel like a "player," themselves.

Imagined Peter Lawford in his robe and slippers for the meeting.

Read someplace that Joseph Kennedy referred to Peter Lawford:
"The only thing worse
than an actor
as a son-in-law

is an English actor...."

=============
I think I only saw Peter Lawford in one show, and that was "Bewitched."  In 1972, he appeared as a charming, attractive, wealthy man who is dating Samantha's cousin, the wild-and-kooky Serena.

(On that show, the suspense / tension / entertainment was -- when and where would the witchcraft surface, and how would they cover it up, or smooth things over so that the "mortals" would think they hadn't seen what they had seen.

"Oh, it was late, you must have fallen asleep and dreamed it!"
or
"Larry, you'd had a little too much to drink!")

The Peter Lawford moment I couldn't forget was toward the end of the episode -- he's by Samantha and Darrin's front door, talking with them, and he's mystified and a little stunned by the previous evening's activities with Serena....he says, with this sort of cultivated-sounding and dignified accent, "I remember, we were dancing -- and I was singing into her ear -- they were playing 'Fly Me To The Moon.'  [Awestruck and disbelieving]  And the next thing I knew -- I was on    my    WAY    !"

I thought that was very sophisticated and funny, at the time.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment