Thursday, March 21, 2013

think outside


Someone informed me that socks do not have to match anymore.  It's the style.  We may wear an orange sock on one foot, and a periwinkle sock on the other.  And different patterns.  "Anything goes," I think.  She said they ("they" -- the -- Sock - Companies...) even sell socks that way -- a package with two mismatched socks inside of it.

I liked the idea of the freedom of that.  First, stopped pairing up the socks after washing-and-drying:  began simply dumping all socks into drawer. 

Time saved on unrewarding chore. 

That part works well for me.  But -- when I go to pick out two socks to wear, one for each foot, am finding it difficult to stop myself from sifting and sorting through, to find, for example, two basic comfy-white socks with exactly the same style of top -- the little line of stitched-pattern...

It's a long-established practice, in my existence, to wear matching socks and it's sort of hard to change that.  I ask myself,
"Does anyone see my socks?"
Answer:
"No."
"Does it feel any different to me, if my socks match or don't?"
Answer -- "No."
"Can I just take these first two socks I grabbed and wear those, even though they don't match in the tiny little stitch-pattern that no one sees, including me, and -- just wear 'em?"
Answer -- "Mmh.  Don't know yet."

"It's in style.  It's the thing."
Answer..."mhnzzfrnkuub..."

Sometimes it's harder than one would have thought, to do something new:  similar to

Thinking Outside The Box,

must learn to -- "think outside the socks."

---------------------------  which leads to other thoughts --
Delicatessans:  "Think outside the lox"
Investors:  "Think outside the stocks"
Rupert Murdoch's tabloid-television audience:  "Think outside the Fox"
People who are supposed to be relaxing:  "Think outside the clocks"
The N.R.A.:  "Think outside the Glocks"
Think outside the

Will just go barefoot.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment