Tuesday, June 4, 2013

invisible music


I was thinking about the sense which overcame me yesterday while I was reading some stories by, and interviews with, a writer, that --
his works would be terrific if only the content could be removed.

It's similar to the relationship my father had with the album-oriented-rock I learned to love in college -- it was perfectly fine with him if it played on the car radio, as long as the volume was turned down.  Way down.  All.  The way.  Down.  But -- to be scrupulously fair, Not off.  Never off.  Never the leftward-turning dial motion being taken far enough so that there would be a -- "Click" -- to -- OFF. 

Just

down.

Low enough so that you could not hear it at all.
It would be playing, technically -- you just wouldn't be able to hear it....

"SHE CAME IN THROUGH THE BATHROOM WINDOW..."

"Oh!  Turn that down!"
(Volume all the way down.)
(incredulous):  "She came in through the bathroom window - ??!!"

"YES!  Now turn it back up so we can hear the rest of it!

-- It's the Beatles!!"

------------------------  Sunday's on the phone to Monday -- Tuesday's on the phone to me....

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment