Tuesday, April 29, 2014

but don't you be nobody's fool



----------------- [excerpt from Life, by Keith Richards] -------------------- To this day there's a Scotty Moore lick I still can't get down and he won't tell me.  Forty-nine years it's eluded me.  He claims he can't remember the one I'm talking about. 

It's not that he won't show me; he says, "I don't kow which one you mean."

 It's on "I'm Left, You're Right, She's gone."  I think it's in E major.  He has a rundown when it hits the 5 chord, the B down to the A down to the E, which is like a

yodeling

sort of thing, which I've never been quite able to figure.  It's also on "Baby Let's Play House."  When you get to "But don't you be nobody's fool / Now baby, come back, baby..." and right at that last line, the lick is in there. 

It's probably some simple trick.  But it goes too fast,

and also there's a bunch of notes involved:  which finger moves and which one doesn't?  I've never heard anybody else pull it off.  Creedence Clearwater got a version of that song down, but when it comes to that move, no. 

And Scotty's a sly dog. 

He's very dry. 

"Hey, youngster, you've got time to figure it out." 

Every time I see him, it's "Learnt that lick yet?"

-----------------
{Life, by Keith Richards with James Fox.  Copyright 2010.  Back Bay / Little, Brown}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment