Monday, April 28, 2014

follow the music



---------------------- [excerpt, Life -- by Keith Richards] ------------------ That Elvis LP had all the Sun stuff, with a couple of RCA jobs on it too.  It was everything from "That's All Right," "Blue Moon of Kentucky," "Milk Cow Blues Boogie."  I mean, for a guitar player, or a budding guitar player, heaven....Scotty Moore was my icon.  He was Elvis's guitar player, on all the Sun Records stuff.  He's on "Mystery Train," he's on "Baby Let's Play House." 

Now I know the man, I've played with him.  I know the band. 

But back then, just being able to get through "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone," that was the epitome of guitar playing. 

And then "Mystery Train" and "Money Honey."  I'd have died and gone to heaven just to play like that.  How the hell was that done?  That's the stuff I first brought to the john at Sidcup, playing a borrowed f-hole archtop Höfner.  That was before the music led me back into the roots of Elvis and Buddy -- back to the blues.

{Google "Elvis Presley That's Alright" > You Tube}

Well, that's all right, mama
That's all right for you
That's all right mama, just any way you do
Well, that's all right, that's all right.
That's all right now mama, any way you do.

Mama she done told me,
Papa done told me too
'Son, that gal you're foolin' with,
She ain't no good for you'
But that's all right -- that's all right.
That's all right now mama, any way you do

I'm leaving town, baby
I'm leaving town for sure
Well then you won't be bothered with
Me hanging 'round your door
Well that's all right, that's all right.
That's all right now mama, any way you do

---------------------------------

{Life, Keith Richards with James Fox.  ©2010, Back Bay / Little, Brown}
{"That's Alright Mama," recorded July 5, 1954, by Elvis Presley.  Released July 19, 1954.  Sun Records.  written by Arthur Crudup.  Producer:  Sam Phillips}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment