Wednesday, June 20, 2018

four octaves


one headline:

TRUMP ORDERS END TO HIS FAMILY-SEPARATION POLICY AMID NATIONAL FUROR
    | |   Los Angeles Times


_________________________________

     I watched (actually listened to, mostly) a documentary about Beyonce on You Tube -- it said she has "three octaves" when she sings ... a Viewer Comment corrected that to four.

     During the past weekend, Beyonce and Jay-Z's new album was "dropped" according to news articles on the Internet.  So then I was remembering how  much I loved some of her songs...



Ladies on the floor, all my ladies on the floor
If you ready get it ready let's get it and drop it
Drop down low and sweep the floor wit it
Drop drop down low and sweep the floor wit it...

     I don't think they can handle this! -- Whoooooooh!
Barely move, we've arrived
Lookin' sexy, lookin' fly
Baddest chick, chick inside
DJ, jam tonight...

          ...I'm not gon' stop (what?)
I'm gon' work harder (what?)
I'm a survivor (what?)
I'm gonna make it (what?)
I will survive (what?)
Keep on survivin' (what?)...


________________________________________

(I like the fast ones!)



I haven't yet had time to be a student of Beyonce's more recent music.  I read about the Lemonade album in 2016, and heard Michelle Obama say that she asked her daughters in dinner-table conversation which song on that album they liked best.


     Music video from the new album, where Beyonce and Jay-Z sing and dance in the Louvre Museum in France, is on You Tube.  I watched it.  I didn't know if that song and that type of performance was my cup of tea or not.  Maybe I didn't understand it.  I loved the idea of recording the music video in the Louvre, however.



     Those earlier songs -- "Survivor," "Get Me Bodied," and "Bootylicious" -- just reached out and grabbed me the first time I heard them, like -- "Wow!"  Spoke right to me.  

Maybe I understand the light-pop / R & B songs ("fast ones"), but don't get the deeper-meaning stuff in the art museum.  Does this make me a shallow person?  I don't know, but -- I do know -- that

A little sweat ain't never hurt nobody
While y'all standin' on the wall
I'm the one tonight...



...Stop now cool off cool off, cool off cool off...




-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment