Wednesday, October 24, 2018

daily self-reminder: hard news first



-----------------------------

I --

Shall not -- I shall not be moved

I -- shall not,

I shall not be moved

Just like a tree -- that's planted by the wa-ah-ter --

I shall not be moved.


I'm on my way to heaven,
I shall not be moved
I'm on my way to heaven,
I shall not be moved
Just like a tree -- that's planted by the wah-ah-ter --
I -- shall not be moved.


Oh, preacher -- I shall not be moved
Oh, preacher -- I shall not be moved
Just like a tree -- that's planted by the wa-ah-ter,
I shall not be moved.


I'm sanctified and holy, I shall not be moved
Sanctified and holy, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree -- that's planted by the water
I shall not be moved.

________________________________

     "I Shall Not Be Moved" is the second song on the Mississippi John Hurt, The Best Of  album, You Tube, uploaded by JIM BLUES ROCK CHANNEL.  So when you hit "Play" on that album, you can first hear Song 1, "Here Am I, Oh Lord, Send Me" followed by today's featured song, "I Shall Not Be Moved."


     One of Mr. Hurt's trademarks is, he's one man playing one acoustic guitar, and he keeps the base line going and the melody simultaneously.  People would listen to a recording and ask, "Who's the second guitar player?"

     A You Tube Comment from a listener says, "I love how he lets the guitar finish his sentences."



_________________________________







---------------------- [excerpt, All The President's Men] ------------------------------

2

Bernstein had been told by Sussman to take Monday and Tuesday off.  On Wednesday, he set out to learn what he could about Charles W. Colson.  

He called a former official of the Nixon administration who he thought might be able to supply some helpful biographical data.  Instead of biography, the man told Bernstein:  "Whoever was responsible for the Watergate break-in would have to be somebody who doesn't know about politics but thought he did.  

I suppose that's why Colson's name comes up. . . . Anybody who knew anything wouldn't be looking over there for real political information.  They'd be looking for something else . . . scandal, gossip."  The man knew the inner workings of the White House, of which Bernstein and Woodward were almost totally ignorant, and, better still, he maintained extensive contacts with his former colleagues.  



Bernstein asked if he thought there was any possibility that the President's campaign committee or -- less likely -- the White House would sponsor such a stupid mission as the Watrgate raid.  Bernstein waited to be told no.  

"I know the President well enough to know if he needed something like this done it certainly wouldn't be a shoddy job," said the former official.  But it was not inconceivable that the President would want his campaign aides to have every piece of political intelligence and gossip available.  He recalled that one White House political consultant "was always talking about walkie-talkies.  


You would talk about politics and he would talk about devices.  There was always a great preoccupation at the White House with all this intelligence nonsense.  Some of those people are dumb enough to think there would be something there."  


This picture of the White House was in sharp contrast to the smooth, well-oiled machine Bernstein was accustomed to reading about in the newspapers -- those careful, disciplined, look-alike guards to the palace who were invariably referred to as "the President's Men."


H.R. Haldeman


John Mitchell



Haldeman, Ehrlichman



Charles Colson


Ron Ziegler


Kay Graham, Washington Post publisher;
Ben Bradlee, Washington Post editor
1971






-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment