Thursday, March 4, 2021

cash in large sums

 


"There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums."

~ Larry Flynt


     They send out the e-mail suggesting that people fly their American flag at half staff to signify respect or mourning for someone who died, or something that happened.


     They do it too much, now.  I think it got out of control after the World Trade Center 9-11 attack.  Our government dudes want to do something, and proclaiming that flags should be lowered doesn't cost them anything and, I'm guessing, isn't politically controversial, so it doesn't take much time or effort.


It's something you can do.  The do-able thing.


     It's just too much, in my opinion -- I mean, the flags are up, down, up, down, up-down-up-down, updownupdownupdown...

     Someone told me, "You know, we're going to have to purchase a new mechanism to replace the old one that moves the flag up and down, because it's literally wearing out."


And -- to me-- the gesture loses some of its meaning because instead of once in a while when it's something really important, it's all-the-flippin'-time....


     It's stressful -- when I notice a flag at half-staff and I 

Don't.  Know.  Why.


I'm like--My God, what happened now?


       *       *


Three weeks ago Hustler magazine publisher Larry Flynt died, at the age of 78.  Some days later I was on my way to work and going by the post office, I saw the flag at half-mast, and I said, "Oh, not again!" -- and the thought crossed my mind, "All right--if that flag is at half-staff because of Larry Flynt, I'm--going to have to talk to somebody!"


(...my 'inner Karen' coming out:  "I would like to speak to the manager!")


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment