Monday, April 5, 2021

imagine my relief

 


On You Tube, I listened to a video about "forgotten hit songs from the 1960s" or something like that.

     And then in the Comments, people were like, "These songs are not 'forgotten'--everybody knows all of these songs!"


The uploader of the video invited viewers to name other songs in this category--someone mentioned a song I had never heard,

"Israelites"

by a group I had never heard of:

Desmond Dekker & The Aces.


So then I found that and played it, and read those comments:


George Vreeland Hill

----------------- This song never gets old.  It's one of those classics you love to hear every time it plays.


Saraiyah Yisrael

-------------------- Wow!  Never knew how much relevance this would have today.  Shout out to all of my Israelite Mispacha!  Shalom!


Patrick Girouard

---------------- The first record I ever purchased with my own money.


Jim Hayes

------------------- I missed this song's regular airplay, and heard it once, on the radio, in 1973.  ONCE!  My brother and I were entranced, but had no idea what it was or how to hear more.  

     And I didn't hear it again for about 35 years, whereupon I glommed onto it and made up for lost time.  Thanks, Internet.


Black Cherubim

------------- Just heard this song playing on the "Watchmen" series it sounds fly.


Rob Derrick

------------------- When this first came out, I heard it on the radio.  Was either WISE or WKKE, Asheville, North Carolina.  After one hearing, not even sure what I'd heard, or who it was, I HAD to have it.  

I was about 13 years old.  I hit the pavement walking, and went to Every record/music store in town, where I was met with incomprehension as I tried to find/describe this Holy Grail.  


Finally, after almost a whole day, I found a store with a 45RPM of a song called "Israelites".  Couldn't even be sure it was the right one, but I bought it and took it home.  Imagine my relief when I put it on and heard that first "Get up in the morning..."


     There are so few pleasures in life that are as intense, immediate, and pure as that.

________________________________

___________________________


On You Tube type in

Desmond Dekker & The Aces -- "Israelites" (Official Audio)

uploader:  Trojan Records Official

(views:  3,474,424)

...and listen.

_______________________


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment