Tuesday, September 14, 2021

no good can come of it

 

Brian Jones, Charlie Watts, Mick Jagger


"The proof is in:  TV really does rot your brain"

is the headline of a Mon 13 Sep 2021 article in The Guardian.


In the Comments section "btl" (below the line) one reader quoted C.P. Scott:

"Television?  The word is half Greek, half Latin.  No good can come of it."


        Sometimes those Guardian readers quote people I haven't heard of.  Googling C.P. Scott, I discover he was a British journalist, publisher, and politician - born in Bath, 1846, and died in Manchester in 1932.

        Then I thought, if he died in 1932, how could he have commented on television -- that didn't come out until the 1950s...?


        It turns out (with more Googling) that although a TV in almost every home in the western world only became the norm in the '50s, television itself was invented in 1927.  So Mr. Scott was still alive to comment upon it.


"No good can come of it!"

Famous last words.

_______________________________________

Conan The Brightonian commented:

Ha!  Next they'll be saying beer is bad for you ...


Another Reader Comment, from Artemisia27:

I try to do most of my viewing in languages other than English.  It helps keep up linguistic skills in French, Russian, Italian and German.  I also watch things in Spanish, not a language I ever spoke or studied, because I find I can understand some of it.  And I've tried Swedish, Icelandic, Bulgarian, Polish and Turkish, for the heck of it.

        I'm not sure this has made me stupider, but perhaps less ladylike, as I've picked up an international florilegium of swear words!


___________________________________

_________________________________


Charlie Watts, the Rolling Stones drummer, passed away last month.

        One would think it wouldn't be that surprising:  he was 80 years old; humans do not live forever.  And yet when I read the news I had that inner reaction of -- "No!  Oh no!  It can't be true!"


(in a tone of protest) -- Rolling Stones can't die!


That's not true, though -- Brian Jones in the 1960s, the founder of the Rolling Stones, died in 1969 at the age of 27.


After Jones, however, and after the '60s, the Stones have lasted and stayed active and kept putting out music and touring:  we got used to them being a constant, in the backdrop of our lives.  A melodic, joyous, raucous constant.


Charlie Watts can't die.

I     SAY       NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


On You Tube there's a really nice, informative video titled

Charlie Watts Tribute  1941 - 2021

uploader:  Pocket Percussion


He is such a gentleman.  A very centered person.

His facial features are so strong, and I love his accent.


___________________________

On You Tube, play and rock out to the Rolling Stones recording of

"Can I Get a Witness"


(Witness, witness!)


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment