Wednesday, September 1, 2021

soundtracked

 

left to right,

Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Mick Jagger

(first album, 1964)


The New York Times published the obituary, headlined:

Charlie Watts, Bedrock Drummer for the Rolling Stones, Dies at 80


some reader comments:


U.S. -------------------- my isolated life in rural Mississippi during the 1960s and 70s was made tolerable by escaping into the music of the Rolling Stones.  Thank you, Charlie Watts, for being part of something that helped many of us deal with a despairing life.


Jersey Shore --------------- Wasn't Charlie just on stage with the band at Convention Hall in Asbury Park?  My bad that was 52 years ago.  R.I.P.


The Southwest ------------------- Who would have thought that Keith Richards would have outlived Charlie Watts.  Maybe it's time for drinking, drugs and chain smoking.  Rest well Mr. Watts.


Burbank, California ----------------- Thank you, Mr. Watts, for the sensational and timeless music and for being a classy man.


Reading, Pennsylvania ------------- I just saw the band at Desert Trip a few years ago; Mick said welcome to the "catch us before we croak" concert.


New York ------------------ RIP Mr Watts.  The Rolling Stones have been my favorite Rock and Roll band forever!  I saw them live at Cornell U when I was in 6th grade.  My friend and I snuck in - simply followed right behind the tallest guy we could find....


Midwest ------------- I can't imagine what it must feel like to bring that much happiness and enjoyment to so many people for so long.  Rest in peace, Charlie Watts.


Washington, DC ------------- In a dismal period this still manages to ruin my day.


New York, NY -------------- I will never, never, ever forget sleep-away camp in 1969 when the counselors in the next bunk constantly played a relatively new tune with the absolute coolest cowbell-studded opening drum riff I'd ever heard.  And so went my intro to "Honky Tonk Women."


Tacoma, Washington --------------- To paraphrase a Kinks song, I wish I could be like Charlie Watts.  Thank you, and peace.


St. Louis --------------------- Sad day.  For the Stones fans "don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened."  Mr. Watts had one hell of a good life!


San Francisco ----------------- Mr Watts personified the words of Chuck Berry, "it's got a backbeat, you can't lose it."


Oz ----------- Rest in peace, Charlie.  It WAS only Rock and Roll, and WE LIKED IT.


Washington ------------------ If ever in need of reminder of how to be your own person amidst utter chaos, look to Mr. Watts.



Great Midwest ------------------- 

"My dreams are fading down the railway line

I'm just about a moonlight mile down the road"


Rock on Charlie Watts your music will live forever.



Cleveland, Ohio --------------------- Mr. Watts was an innovator.  His dropping out the high-hat on the snare hit was fantastic and gave the band its swing.  RIP.


Washington, DC --------------------------------- He had me at the opening bars of Get Off of My Cloud.  What a life.  What a man.


Little Rock -------------------------- There's much to be said for doing magnificent work quietly.


Paris --------------- Dignity in the heart of excess.


SLC ------------------- The drumming on Moonlight Mile is monumental.  Call it rock, call it jazz, whatever -- it exists on another plane.


Newport Beach, California -------------- Heard Honky Tonk Women for the first time while on my first acid trip in the army barracks during basic training in 1969.  A major event that's always in my head....


San Diego ------------------- Charlie Watts was the greatest drummer in any musical genre!


NYC ------------------ Class, elegance and rock steady.  Thanks, Charlie.


Frankfort, Kentucky ---------------- the drum groove on Honky Tonk Women is one of the greatest of all time


Cleveland ---------------------- I am devastated.  I'm going to listen to his intro to "Rocks Off," the simplest, greatest start to a rock song ever.


Blue North Carolina ------------------------- The opening beats of Honky Tonk Women must be the most-recognized licks in the history of Rock and Roll.


Gig Harbor, Washington ----------------- I can still remember my mother telling me to turn down that racket on the record player.  I loved that racket.


Kr ----------------------- The Stones have soundtracked many of my most memorable life moments.  Thank you, Mr. Watts, for being a part of our lives


Nashville, Tennessee ------------------- The drum part on Get Off Of My Cloud, is perfect like everything about Charlie Watts.


________________________________


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment