Monday, October 4, 2021

a day of training (yikes)

 



With all of these Internet opportunities to see various stories (movies, TV shows, series, documentaries...) I find myself processing simultaneously a multiplicity of art works:

The Crown

The French Lieutenant's Woman

Diana:  The Musical

Training Day

Designing Women


Then sometimes I like to go onto You Tube and type in the title and read comments under videos to find out what other people think of it.


More importantly, perhaps, than what they think of it is what they see in it:  I watched Training Day (2001 film with Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke) and when I went to You Tube and read comments, people were highlighting and exclaiming over moments in the film that I didn't even notice.


Different frames of reference.

There's a moment when they get into Denzel Washington's (Alonso's) car, the trainee asks where's the office and Alonso answers, "This is the office!" and he presses a button and the car "lifts" up above the tires so it's riding high, & music starts as he drives away.


The first time I watched it through, I didn't even notice that the car went up and I heard the music but I didn't know it.

        The kids in the comments are all enthused:  when the car goes up and Dr. Dre starts playing...!!!!!

(Me:  Oh-oooohhhh.  Got to watch that little scene again so I can see what the younger generation related to so strongly that I had only taken as basic movie atmosphere the first time around....)


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment