Thursday, October 28, 2021

straight ahead and rest assured

 


Earlier this week I posted the lyrics to the Sylvia hit song "Nobody" here -- it got me thinking about songs that you can't get out of your head unless you -- change your identity and move to another country.


("I now identify as Belizean.")


What makes a hit song?

With "Nobody," I think it's that classic combination of well-written lyrics, beguiling melody, and rhythm that feels, simultaneously, pleasantly reliable and innovative.  It surprises the listener just enough.


"You say nobody's after you,

The fact is what you say is true..."


Seriously, somehow I found my way to that song on You Tube and then I just couldn't stop playing it, and after I did manage to stop playing it ("OK, I've heard it enough") snatches of it still keep showing up in my brain!


"Sittin' in a restaurant, she walked by..."


(I can't escape!!)


---------------------------- That led me to thinking of another song that's so bouncy and jubilant and even exciting that once you play it, it's like Lay's potato chips....


♪♪♪ ♪

[bong!]  (a chord)

This is it!

(This is it)

This is life, the one you get

So go and have a ball


This is it!

(This is it)

Straight ahead and rest assured

You can't be sure at all.

So while you're here enjoy the view

Keep on doin' what you do

So hold on tight we'll muddle through

One day at a time,

(One day at a time)


So up on your feet!

(Up on your feet!)

Somewhere there's music playing

Don't you worry none

We'll just take it like it comes


One day at a time (one day at a time)

One day at a time (one day at a time)

One day at a time (nah-nana-nah)

One day at a time

(One day at a time)

One day at a --

Nah-nana-nah --

one day at a time!


{"One Day At A Time" -- network situation comedy, 1975 - 1984}

______________________

After playing a video of this tv-show theme song on You Tube, I read some Comments -- one guy said he loved this song so much as a kid, he took his Fisher Price tape recorder and held it up to the TV and recorded it, then played it later in his room and danced, doing all the things the actors did in the intro.


He finished the comment with, "I was lame as hell."


I thought he was not "lame," but great; I only wished I had thought of doing that.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment