Wednesday, September 21, 2022

a wonderful evening

 

foreground:  Jerry Hall, King Charles III


I've been reading Jerry Hall's book, My life in pictures, and then lately all this British monarchy stuff -- the two can be combined:

------------ [My life in pictures excerpt] ------------- I've been an ambassador for the Prince's Trust for over twenty years.  I'm a big fan of Prince Charles.  The charity helps disadvantaged young people to find direction and I turn up at events and host fundraising shows.  My children have worked for the Trust too; Jimi helped them with scouting locations for a film. --------------- [end / excerpt]


[another excerpt] --------------- Bryan had such a lovely, funny, playful side; but after a year together I was seeing less and less of the Bryan that I had fallen in love with....

He became very critical of me.  

He wanted me to dress like Kim Novak in Vertigo -- in a grey suit, with pearls around my neck and my hair in a French twist.  


When the two of us were alone he would spend hours staring off into space and when we went to dinner he wouldn't let me talk.  He became jealous and started going through my handbag and finding cards or telephone numbers on bits of paper that I'd been given at parties, then questioning me about them.  

        I started to spend a lot of time in my dressing room crying.  It was a lonely time, I felt the dreams I'd had about our life together were crumbling.



...Back in New York, I threw myself into work.  Bryan was touring Japan and Australia for several months and he wrote me a letter saying it was too expensive to call.  Then I heard from a hairdresser at work that Bryan was having an affair with a model in Japan....


        ...Mick was wearing a white silk suit and a red silk shirt.  He made me laugh all night.  After dinner we went to some live music clubs and we ended up at the Bottom Line, watching Lou Reed perform and then going on to Studio 54, the happening place.  


It was a wonderful evening -- May 21, 1977 -- the day Mick and I got together.  We would celebrate that day for the next 23 years.  Mick was gentle, charming, funny and fascinating.  I loved the way he didn't seem to care a hoot what people thought of him.  He was confident and cool and always in control.



        At the end of the evening he dropped off Ara and another friend first.  When we stopped I went to say goodbye and then realised we weren't at my place.  Mick said it was his house and to please come in for a cup of tea.  

I did, and from that moment on, Mick laid siege to me.  He started sending me flowers and getting me invited to dinners where he would be seated next to me.  And I was flattered.  He was witty and bright and utterly persistent.


        I started an affair with him, on the condition that it would be over at the end of the summer when Bryan came back.  I told Mick that I couldn't see him every day, only every other day.  It was a futile attempt to protect my heart, because I was falling in love with him. ---------- [end / excerpt]

_____________________________

___________________


a poem


stories well told


A story told with sincerity

and well-chosen detail, 

descriptions

floating and bouncing

like pleasant butterflies;

Studio 54, The Bottom Line,

Lou Reed,

and Mick Jagger

funkily dropping in

for the atmosphere.


Stories belong to

everyone who wants to listen


-------------------------------------------------------


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment