Wednesday, August 23, 2023

glamour palms

 

Rodeo Drive, by Kamil Kubik


        I thought of Rodeo Drive, today.


When I was in elementary school, I thought it should be pronounced

ROH - dee - oh

but whenever Johnny Carson mentioned it he would say,

roh - DAY - oh.


Roh - DAY-oh Drive.


I can remember him saying Rodeo Drive many times, it seemed like.  I'm not sure why he mentioned that street rather frequently, but he did.  Probably because he lived and worked in southern California -- his show was taped in Burbank, I think -- and like a midwesterner might mention Minneapolis, and a New Yorker would say, 'I was over near Grand Central,' people in California might have Rodeo Drive as a reference point.


Johnny Carson's voice was distinctive and so easy to listen to--you might say his show was "Easy Listening."  Find him on You Tube and you'll see (or hear) what I mean.  I can conjure his voice (saying "Rodeo Drive") in my memory, even without a video.


(I suddenly thought, people might read this and wonder, "Why would parents let their little kid stay up late and watch The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson?!"  I must have heard it / seen it sometimes on Friday nights, and summer nights because if there was no school the next day my hours of having to go to bed would be more elastic.)


        "I just flew in from Miami -- and boy, are my arms tired!" was a joke in the show that got repeated with variations....

_____________________



Jennifer Lopez Christmas shopping on Rodeo Drive


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment