Monday, February 1, 2010

Love

I love Tony Blair.

Prime Minister of Great Britain, 1997 - 2007.

Last night he was on C-Span, just about all night.
"British Inquiry Into Iraq War."
He was taking questions.
Parliament, or part of it, wants to analyze and understand and explain actions taken in that deal.

I love listening to the English accent. (Of course over there they don't call it an accent, to them it's just Talking...)

Instead of the phrase "make a decision," the English say, "take a decision."
Like: "I took a decision that was the course to follow..." or whatever.

This went on for hours.
The English evidently have a long attention-span (and ability to sit) for these exchanges.
(It had been taped Friday.)

He said:

"I try my level best to bring people back together again."
"We had to stick in there and see it through."
"...stick it through until the end...."

"There are people who take both sides of that."

"You will be nation-building after that....It's a different task."

I like him.
He's smart and gentle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also very much enjoyed President Obama's talks last week -- both the State Of The Union speech Tuesday, and a discussion he had with House Republicans either Thursday or Friday...

(When I reminded one of my co-workers that the State of the Union was on, Tuesday, she replied, "I don't like Obama."
I said, "I'm not asking you to like him, I'm just saying the State of the Union speech is on. He's the only president we've got, right now.")... --

I guess I just like presidents, whether or not I voted for them. I always want to hear that speech, if I'm near a TV or something. ...

Things President Obama said that I wrote down:

"Just saying no to everything may be good short-term politics, but it is not leadership."

He pointed out that an attitude has developed between the political parties where politicians believe, "If you lose, I win," and so all they do is try to beat each other down (paraphrasing, there).
He said, "Neither party should obstruct every bill just because they can."

(Hello, Common Sense !! -- Thank you!!!
The American people have been saying that for years. I know, because I've listened to a lot of them say it.)

He mentioned "freedom and human dignity."
(Yep, we like those.)

He suggested "a tone of civility"
-- (!!!!!!! I've been thinking -- and sometimes saying -- that for YEARS !!!!)

He said the "tone of civility" should replace former tactics of "slash and burn."

Slash-and-burn sounds awfully harsh, but it's not an exaggeration.
That style is why a lot of people don't pay attention to politics or news anymore.

The president suggested if we adopt the tone of civility that Congress and the White House can work together in a more "productive" way:

"Productive" is a word I often use, or think of: when somebody, in any segment of life, is disruptive or negative or rude or whatever, I always think think it's "unproductive."

I remembered that from when I was a teenager: an adult I knew said that her husband referred to the two-or-three years they spent socializing-to-excess as "unproductive years." I always remembered that, and it became part of my personal value system: productive is good; unproductive, not good.

This is why this president amazes me -- he totally says stuff that I've been thinking. It's like I wrote the speech, only better.

When he was talking with House Repubs, he spoke of some of the tactics -- how politicians "on both sides of the aisle" use "talking points" to "push buttons" with the voters.

In his frank discussion, President Obama basically laid bare the myopic preoccupation in Washington with
a) battering the other party, and
b) the tactics used to do that.

It's about time.

And then -- back to the idealistic, high-minded, State-of-the-Union content:

"We find unity in our incredible diversity."
"I will not give up on trying to change the tone of our politics."

He speaks what I feel.

Senator Jay Rockefeller from West Virginia spoke on TV after the President / House Repub. discussion: I was at first disappointed when Sen. Rock. didn't seem pleased or optimistic. But then, listening to him, I realized he was worried about getting Republican votes for the health care plan; he was focused on the practical; he wasn't swept up in the idealism of the possible, as I was.

Sen. Rock. spoke of the need for congressmen to "act like adults."
That's another thing I've thought, a few times....

"I. WILL. NOT. GIVE. UP. "

I like it.
The president helps me to have courage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man I used to love
was also sort of my "hero" --
a corny word, but yet you need heroes.

Listening to Tony Blair last night while writing in my pajamas, I realized something:
as part of the work I'm doing to leave the pain of that relationship in the past and try to live well now, I need new heroes.

Heroes (men)
and icons (women)
are people I admire, whom I think of when I want inspiration, courage, or solutions, possibilities, or options.
I imagine, "What would they do?" "What would they think?"

The women I think are terrific are
(in no order of importance, they're all equal) --
Princess Diana, Tina Turner, and Jacqueline Kennedy.

And, engaging in "hero replacement," last night I quickly realized who my three heroes are --
one guy I know personally
(not a date, and I don't know him that well,
but well enough to respect and admire),

+ President Obama,
and Tony Blair.


MMMh....Yeah. That's workin' for me, baby.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment