Friday, October 14, 2011

don't know why...

"I like you, I don't know why."
A Mexican woman told me that, once -- in her little voice with the little accent.
(Like -- right, why would anyone like me??!
But I knew what she meant.)

I like names, and I don't know why...
NAMES, names, names
When I was in elementary school I sometimes made lists of first names.
The pleasure and organized-feeling of writing them.

A woman I work with feels strongly that a person should not have two first names. Like -- if their last name is more often heard as a first name.
(I think she told me once that she turned down a date with a guy because his last name was a first name.)

Married couples whose first names are the masculine - feminine variation on each other:
I've known a Robert and Roberta,
a Michael and Michelle,
a Chris and Christy...
even a Leslie and Leslie! --
What does it all mean?? Nothing! -- but cannot help noticing.

(When you think of creating the feminine version of a man's name -- a friend of mine named Rodney used to say that he wanted his first granddaughter to be named
Rod-nina...joking...)

Tina Brown wrote an article for Vanity Fair in the 80s, reporting on the royal marriage (Prince Charles and Princess Diana) -- in the book, The Diana Chronicles, she recalls:

------------- {excerpt} Two days after "The Mouse That Roared" hit the newsstands, I was woken up in New York by the gravelly voice of a Daily Mail reporter called Rod. (All reporters at the Mail, it seemed, were called Rod at the time.) "Is that 'Urricane Tina?" said the voice...You've certainly caused a ruckus over here."...{end excerpt}------------------

Once I met someone whose last name was Kuhl. Pronounced "Cool."
My NAME is COOL. (oooooh. yeah)
People named Kuhl ("Cool")
People named Hott
Someone named Church
Korey,
Corrie,
Scarlett O'Hara (the perfect name for the character!)
Addison DeWitt (a witty, sardonic character in All About Eve, masterfully played by actor George Sanders)
Mr. Butt -- and there is where you draw the line. If one's name was actually Butt, one would go on down and get it changed -- to Smith, to Jones, to Bozotheclown, anything other than "Butt" -- that's why God invented courthouses.

Channing. It is the perfect show-business name. And the only two people I can think of whose last name is Channing are in show business: one real, one fictional. The real one is Carol Channing -- (she used to sing, "Diamonds are a girl's best friend,") and "Margo Channing," the main character in the film All About Eve, played by Bette Davis:
"All playwrights should be dead for three hundred years!"
and
"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night."
Margo Channing. Carol Channing.
Channing, Channing, Channing,
Bouvier.
Bouvier.
Jacqueline Kennedy's maiden name.
Boo-vee-ay.
Glamorous.
Elegant.
Sophisticated.
It means "cow-herd."
In French.

Calling him names. Say my name. What's in a name?
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
-- Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

Styles Bridges was the name of a U.S. senator who served with Lyndon Johnson back in the 50s. His name was noted in a Johnson biography I was reading and typing from earlier this week. Looking up Styles Bridges on the internet, turned out his first name was actually Henry, but he was apparently one of those people who is called, and known, by his middle name instead of the first.

And the two names are both words, as well as being names:
like -- styles. The new fall styles.
and bridges. Of Madison County. Over troubled water. Whatever.
a U.S. senator named Styles Bridges.
"A Boy Named Sue," written by Shel Silverstein: ("My name is Sue! How do you do?!")

In Ohio many of my Snow ancestors were teachers, in the local country schools, through the 1800s. One year in the school district there were three teachers, Mr. Snow, Mr. Freese, and Mr. Frost.
Significance in The World? None, whatsoever. Yet somehow you want to write it down, and / or do hand-stands. ...

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment