Friday, January 14, 2022

boy, if life were only like this!

 


        As I'm reading through The Art of X-Ray Reading, by Roy Peter Clark, I find myself thinking of the scene in Annie Hall when Annie and Alvy have just met that day and she invites him up to her apartment for a refreshment and conversation.

In the X-Ray Reading book, the author counts words, commas sometimes, syllables--analyzes all kinds of stuff that I would not have thought of -- and I replay the Woody Allen scene in my mind where he asks her,


So, did you shoot the photographs in there, or what?


Annie

Yeah, yeah, I sorta dabble around, you know...


Alvy

They're - they're - they're wonderful, you know.  They have ... they have, uh - a - a quality.


Annie

Well, I-I-I would-I would like to take a serious photography course soon.


Alvy

Photography's interesting, 'cause, you know, it's-it's a new art form, and a, uh, a set of aesthetic criteria have not emerged yet.


Annie

Aesthetic criteria?  You mean, whether it's, uh, good photo or not?


Alvy

The-the medium enters in as a condition of the art form itself.  That's-


Annie

Well, well, I ... to me-I ... I mean, it's-it's-it's all instinctive, you know.  I mean, I just try to uh, feel it, you know?  I try to get a sense of it and not think about it so much.


--------------------------------

When I'm writing, I'm not very much like Roy Peter Clark, I'm more like Annie Hall.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment