Saturday, August 10, 2024

saved my life; is my life

 



I was writing about my "Summer Girl" summer, when one of the few bright spots was when the song "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" would come on the radio:  contemplating this made me remember that the family I baby-sat for had no stereo or records, and no piano.


It was weird.


        There was radio.

The children's mother would bring the radio out by the pool.      

And I had a clock-radio in the bedroom where I slept.


        But - radio?  Radio was all we had, in the 1970s... ??


(It was as if we were poverty-stricken sharecroppers in the 1930s, or something....)


And these people had a swimming pool - in Minnesota - so it seemed like they must be wealthy....

..."Wealthy" enough to have a - stereo - or at least a record player....

But - regardless of how much or little money you have, you don't buy it if it isn't important to you....


        In the film American Hustle (currently on Netflix) there's a scene near the beginning when a man meets a woman at his friend's pool party in Long Island - during the '70s - and they bond over the music of Duke Ellington.  The man says no one cares about Duke Ellington's music anymore, and the woman answers, "Well I care about him.  He saved my life many times."

        And recently at work a woman who is usually playing music from her phone, during breaks, told me, "Music is my life."


Coincidence.


Amy Adams in  American Hustle


-30-

        


No comments:

Post a Comment