Tuesday, October 20, 2009

FOOD WRITING; FASHION-WRITING; WINE-WRITING

I always enjoy reading about food and wine and fashion / style, though I pretend to be an expert on none of these.

I'm like the typical midwesterner in the 50s who would go to an art museum and say, "I'm no art expert, but I know what I like!"

And reading about the food and wine adds no calories to one's intake; reading about high fashion -- couture -- doesn't cost me a small fortune, as it would if I shopped for it.

I'm currently in a job where I wear a uniform shirt with black slacks every day but Friday, when I am allowed to wear jeans. Comfortable shoes, daily.

Having already had a couple of careers in which I wore skirts, suits, & high heels, I find it liberating, in an unexpected way, to wear the same thing every day; removing daily outfit-planning from my "plate" frees time and energy to write my book.

Am thinking my affinity for food writing may have begun when my mother read the "Winnie The Pooh" stories to me when I was a tiny child. Pooh was often ready for a snack, which he referred to as "a little smackerel of something."

(Though, to be sure, these sophisticated food writers (and bloggers) don't spend much space on the concept of eating honey straight out of the jar -- they are a few steps ahead of Pooh....)

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment