Tuesday, October 19, 2010

no more books?

"They" -- (who are THEY? -- those people who warn us about stuff)-
"They" say there aren't going to be any books anymore, due to kindle.

Great. Just when I can project my book being ready for the agent, they are not even going to HAVE books anymore.

------------------ On other hand -- when movies were invented there was not supposed to be any more radio; the advent of television inspired predictions of the end of the movie business ...and now -- what? -- the internet is the end of everything...?
Or the beginning?
Or both?

Do I have the energy or the expertise to worry about all this?
No.
Am I going to allow worry about the Future Of Publishing to deter me from finishing my book?
Hell no.

And every week The New York Times Review of Books gives us a list of new titles. Of books.
B-B-O-O-O-O-O-K-K-K-S-S !!
(Apparently, not yet over.)
This week -- THREE biographies --
Mickey Mantle
David Susskind
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

The Moynihan one is -- Wow -- so relatable, to me, & maybe shouldn't call it a "biography" -- it's a collection of his letters. He observed stuff and thought about stuff and wrote letters and made suggestions. I can totally relate to that.
His name is like the music of Fleetwood Mac, to me -- sort of part of the background of my life -- just -- always there.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment