Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It's the Wild West

[Went looking for "wild west" quotes and found
this: "I won't be wronged,
I won't be insulted, and I won't
be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people,
and I require the same from them.
--J.B. Books in The Shootist, 1976.]
"It's the Wild West."
That's what the I-T (at work) said about the Internet.

"This is Lexington."
That's what someone speaking for "Anonymous" said about the ongoing effort to "avenge" the wikileaks guy's arrest by picking on Master Card and Visa and something called "Pay Pals"). They say they are protecting free speech from BIG GOVERNMENT AND BIG CORPORATE CONTROL.

"This is like The Pentagon Papers."
That is what I say about the Wikileaks phenomenon. (No, event.)

The Pentagon Papers. Have to look it up; was too young when it happened to really get what it was. I had the sense it was a Mystery of some kind that people had to figure out and find out about.
To me, it was alluring.
What I remember:
Daniel Ellsberg's psychiatrist.
Something about a safe. (The Papers were in it??)
P. Papers wound up in the New York Times.
Government did not enjoy this.
But we seem to have lived through it.
----------------------------
It's the Wild West.

-30-


No comments:

Post a Comment