Tuesday, December 7, 2010

sincerity and humility: arguing with self

In New York Times Review of Books:
a book called
Dear Mrs. Kennedy
is a collection of some of the letters of condolence received by Jacqueline Kennedy after the assassination.

The reviewer writes,
"The letters were written in a spirit of sincerity and humility scarcely imaginable today..."
I read that and immediately wanted to disagree -- no, no -- there is always sincerity and humility, people are no different -- human nature is...

And then I remind myself, 'What are you arguing for? You make observations like that all the time!'

I think we can choose how we are going to be, and then live it, best we can.

On You Tube if you type in
"Jacqueline Kennedy thanking the public"
you will see a televised talk she gave in January of 1964.

"Whenever I can bear to, I read them. ...
All of you who have written to me know how much we all loved him,
and that he returned that love in full measure..."

She says, "loved him" with firm emphasis,
...and that he returned that love in full measure
("mea-szhuh")
[those distinctive accents...]

-30-

1 comment:

  1. I'm very worried about the divisiveness in this country. I've tried to temper my political commentary with humor, infusing it less with anger. But when I see the absolute fury on both sides, I worry and wonder how we can ever work together to get this country back on track.

    Your post provides a good example of how we should be.

    ReplyDelete