Monday, August 15, 2011

damn darkness


In a conversation Friday someone reminded me to "light a candle" instead of "cursing the darkness."
(I had been thinking about how to have a positive political movement -- a third party, or something, for normal people...I don't know, negativity and moronicism (??) in our national political life was bumming me out...)

I was kind of surprised at myself -- that I needed to be reminded to "light a candle instead of cursing the darkness" -- I thought I knew that stuff already -- got funneled into my head in childhood formative years -- church, God, be nice don't kill people...got-it.

Then -- I was wrong again -- I thought the not-cursing-darkness quote came from the Bible but was wrong, apparently it came from Adlai Stevenson -- (he had such an enthusiastic band of supporters in his day, they might have thought if it came from him it might as well have come from the Bible...!)
----------------------------------
(I remember a Peanuts cartoon where it's dark, and Lucy is standing there with her mouth open wide, hollering, "You stupid darkness!")

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment