Friday, August 12, 2011

dance around


As I was trying to clarify my understanding of the
democracy - vs. - communism
conflict (cold war)
in the last century,
noted:
there were always two "tracks" of effort --
or, no -- three:

1. talking (Soviet leaders and American leaders were in communication with each other throughout that Cold War time, I think ...they would meet and talk, meet and talk. Try to be nice. Pretend to be nice. Try to find common ground. Pretend to be trying to find common ground. Build up ba-jillions of weapons, then agree to not use them, not test them, and not build any more.

2. spying

3. fighting on the ground (Korea, Vietnam...)

Talking, spying, fighting.
-----------------------------
Of course if they would ask me what they should do, I would have recommended the talking without the fighting.
Similarly, I think when people go hunting, what they really want is to have a reason to be outdoors, and to have a goal -- so, leave the guns at home at take a camera! Take beautiful pictures of the wildlife!

My boss and I talked about that, and I also shared with him my recommendation that boxing not include any hitting.
Boxing is interesting to watch, the way the opponents bob and weave and move. You know -- that's nice, and then no one winds up with brain damage.
To me that makes perfect sense -- (I always try to select the activity which does not include brain damage. ...you know?)

But my boss seemed to think I was joking, and said, "You think people would buy tickets to see two guys dance around?"
Um -- yeah -- I don't know...
Later I thought of a more intelligent answer to that very practical question -- he was thinking of ticket sales -- way ahead of me on the big picture...and I realized, "...To see two guys dance around...(very funny)...Yes! Darn it, YES! You could sell tickets to that! You'd just be selling them to -- different people...

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment