Wednesday, August 31, 2011

the rain in Spain


Today "My Fair Lady" was on while I was getting ready to go to work.

("I could have daunced -- daunced -- daunced -- All Night!")

It's like floating on a cloud of romance and beauty.

And silliness: "Why cahn't the English teach their children how to speak?! Norwegians learn Norwegian; the Greeks are taught their Greek..."

When I was in eighth grade I had that record (soundtrack from the movie) borrowed from the public library and listened to it on my record player: I had not seen the movie, so listening to the songs, I figured out the story as best I could.
(Was thinking -- that might actually be an interesting learning / teaching method: assign students to listen to the soundtrack from a movie musical, and then figure out the story for themselves.
If I wrote the Curriculum: Oh! the kids would have FUN in school!...)

And the interesting thing about Rex Harrison in the role of Henry Higgins is, he's starring in a musical and yet -- he wasn't really a singer.
He says his lyrics with a lot of rhythm and feeling, in time with the music: a sort of mind-blowing white-guy-in-Edwardian (1901 - 1910) England antecedent to rap! ...

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment