Wednesday, February 1, 2012

time management

"Time Management."
What an attractive idea.
I love to read about Time Management sometimes, and then other times -- I need to take the "time management" book and -- put it in the freezer.

Some of the things they -- ("they") -- tell you to do are not that realistic, plus one style doesn't "fit all" types of work, and types of personalities.

In my childhood my mother read the book Cheaper By The Dozen aloud to me, and when I was old enough I read it to myself. The dad in that book was a "motion study" expert (Frank Bunker Gilbreth) -- while the real highlight of the book, for me, lay in the humorous adventures of the large family of 12 children, I also absorbed the idea of the Motion Study expert helping people, making their jobs easier by cutting down on the amount, and difficulty, of the "motions" required to do the task.

"Efficiency expert" was also another word for that.

-------------------- Someone said, (loosely quoted), "When we buy books, we are imagining, on an emotional level, that we are buying the time to read them." A way to stretch out time -- or give ourselves more of it.

---------------------- On the sitcom "Mad About You" Paul Reiser would say, "That's two hours of my life I'll never get back" -- if it was something he didn't want to do. I walked out on the movie Kill Bill, thinking of Paul Reiser. ("I'm 35 minutes in; the mindless violence continues, machine-like; I'm out seven dollars, but if I stay to the end, I'm out seven dollars and two hours. Two hours of my life I'll never get back...!") And I went home to write, feeling as if I had not only made a Statement Of Protest which would teach modern Hollywood a thing or two (not), but also had magically extracted about an hour and twenty minutes of extra Time in Life, from the universe.

For a while in the 90s I was quite wrapped up in planners. Thought of Time Management in relation to my planner, and how Everything would now be Organized In One Place.

Now, into second decade of the 21st, I see people with their Phones-In-Hand, and wondered the other day if the Daily Planner business has suffered any because so many people now have "Everything" "Organized In One Place" -- on their phone.

Lee Silber wrote a book called Time Management For The Creative Person.
Irresistible.

A segment titled "Left Brain / Right Brain" is topped with the quote,
"Break on through to the other side."
-- Jim Morrison

[excerpt]------- Each side of the brain processes information differently and has its own specialization, although at any given time you are using both sides of your brain. It's more a matter of emphasis than exclusivity. Still, we refer to linear thinkers as left-brain or logic-brain people. Right-brainers (artistic brain) tend to be more creative, visual, and emotional, although mathematical ability is located in the right brain also. The right-brain person is a divergent thinker in a one-track world, and at times this can be a struggle.

Nearly all the time management products on the market favor the left-brain thinking style, ignoring the needs of right-brainers. There's a simple reason for this: If you want to set up one system that's going to work for a lot of people, you're going to set up a left-brain system. Left-brainers learn patterns better, follow directions better, are better at details than right-brainers -- and they're more alike. Right-brainers would prefer to concoct their own unique time-management tools (which is a great idea, by the way) rather than conform to an existing system.

------------- [end excerpt]
I need to get a larger freezer. (No, only kidding....)

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment