Wednesday, March 28, 2012

movies you run into

In an 11-year time span I saw five movies that I thought were really, really good, and then I kept going to other movies, expecting them all to be that good.

The Last Waltz (The Band, concert & interview)
Body Heat
The Big Chill
Witness
When Harry Met Sally...


After a while, realized, OK, every movie isn't that good, or -- doesn't affect you in such an intense way, because -- they're all different, and you can't expect that same high level every time. (Or -- you can expect it, but you won't get it, leading to a disappointed feeling. ...)

In that same time frame, I saw two Woody Allen films,
Annie Hall
and
Manhattan

I almost was going to include them on this list and make it seven instead of five, but decided no, even as I was seeing these two Allen classics I knew other films weren't going to be like that, & was therefore not disappointed when they weren't like that. I could see, even with my very young and inexperienced viewpoint, that Woody Allen's work is in a class by itself.

-------------------------------

[Body Heat, restaurant scene]

WALKER
He didn't have the goods, this guy.
He was like a lot of guys you run
into -- they want to get rich, they
want to do it quick, they want to be
there with one score.

He puts his glasses back on, stares at Racine.

WALKER
But they're not willing to do what's
necessary. Do you know what I mean?

RACINE
I'm not sure. You mean, lay the
groundwork? Earn it?

WALKER
(with a small laugh), No. I mean do what's necessary.
Whatever's necessary.
-----------------

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment